Four new marine conservation science positions in Department Of Conservation New Zealand
Posted: 12 March 2019
Closing: 25 March 2019
Category: Non MASTS
Four new marine conservation science positions in DOC New Zealand
Concerns for the marine environment has led to an increased investment by DOC into marine conservation. As a result, DOC is looking to recruit four 4 Science Advisors, Marine. The roles will increase DOC's ability to deliver on marine conservation outcomes. Focal areas will be marine species recovery, fisheries bycatch and marine spatial protection.
This is an excellent opportunity to lead work on some of the more complex and challenging conservation issues facing New Zealand.
The roles cover multiple specialist areas, more specifically:
- Two roles (500/1210 and 500/1211) focused on increasing marine protection though Marine Protected Area and marine ecosystem science (Dunedin, Hamilton or Auckland based)
- One role (500/1311) focused on ensuring the successful recovery of the Māui dolphin/Hector's dolphins and reducing the fisheries bycatch of marine protected species (Wellington based).
- One role (500/1312) focused on reducing the fisheries bycatch on marine species (Nelson based).
Successful applicants will have:
- Experience or ability to deliver or support the delivery of conservation outcomes nationally
- Strong communication skills, including speaking and writing for a range of target audiences
- Knowledge and experience in the areas of marine ecology, government process and systems development.
- Resilience as the issues are complex, sometimes contentious and often require long term solutions to resolve the issue to hand.
A tertiary qualification in a related field, or at least 5 years relevant experience, is required.
Advert link (Auckland) - https://jobs.govt.nz/jobs/DOC-500-1210I
Advert link (Dunedin) - https://jobs.govt.nz/jobs/DOC-500-1210I1
Advert link (Hamilton) - https://jobs.govt.nz/jobs/DOC-500-1211I
Advert link (Wellington) - https://jobs.govt.nz/jobs/DOC-500-1311I
Advert link (Nelson) - https://jobs.govt.nz/jobs/DOC-500-1312I