The Marine Alliance for Science and Technology for Scotland has some opportunities for studentships. Click on title for the advert.
- Mapping, monitoring and modelling coastal habitats with UAVs. Based at Aberdeen University. Closing date for applications is 31/8/18. Find out more here.
- Dynamic spatial modelling and forecasting of sea lice abundances. Based at SAMS and co-sponsored by SAIC, MASTS and the DataLab. Closing date for applications 10/8/18. Find out more here.
- Machine learning approaches to improve retrieval of shelf sea algal biomass from ocean colour remote sensing. Based at Strathclyde and co-sponsored by MASTS and the DataLab. Closing date for applications 30/8/18. Find out more here.
- Habitat use of the critically endangered flapper skate in relation to a MPA. A state of the art modelling approach. Based at St Andrews University and co-sponsored by SNH. Closing date for applications is 22/6/18. Find out more here.
- Spat mortality in Farmed Scottish Blue Mussels (Mytilus edulis). Based at Stirling University and cofunded by SAIC. Closing date for applications is 28/6/18. Find out more here.
- Developing a length-based stock assessment methodology for Firth of Clyde finfish and scallops. Based at Strathclyde University and co-sponsored by MASTS. Now readvertised - contact Dr Douglas Speirs for further details.
- Developing and testing novel methods for monitoring deep-water marine protected areas in Scotland. Based at Heriot Watt University/Edinburgh University and co-sponsored by MSS. To be readvertised soon.
SNH/MASTS - Call for PhD proposals from supervisors
MASTS in conjunction with Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH) invites PhD supervisors to submit proposals for two 50% funded studentships in a number of priority areas. Find out more here.
A completed application form should be emailed to email@example.com before 16.00 on Thursday 29th March 2018. Enquiries should also be directed to this email address. Supervisors should not contact colleagues in SNH as endorsement is not required at this stage.
Datalab/MASTS Industrial Doctorate Call
MASTS, in conjunction with the Data Lab, has opened a call for “Data for Marine Science & Technology - Industrial Doctorate Funding”. The deadline for submissions is 17.00 on Friday 6th April.
Funding for up to 50% of the project cost will be provided for up to three and a half years, with the remainder to be matched by an industry, sector or voluntary sector partner. We are currently looking for applications from academic supervisors who have a proposed project with an agreed industry partner, or who are actively engaged with a partner to define a project.
MASTS aims to enhance the Scottish marine research environment. We hope that by applying novel data science methods to the challenges outlined in MASTS’ key research themes, valuable new insights can be gained for the benefit of Scotland.
We look forward to receiving your applications. Only available to supervisors at MASTS member institutions.
SAIC part-funded studentships - call for proposals
The project must be hosted at a Scottish University and have an industry partner with an operational base in Scotland. It must align to one of the 4 SAIC Priority Innovation Areas:
PIA 1: Address environmental and health challenges, particularly sea lice and gill disease
PIA 2: Develop feeds that optimise fish health and nutrition
PIA 3: Unlock additional capacity for aquaculture development through innovative, evidence-based approaches
PIA 4: Establish a reliable supply of mollusc spat
Deadline: 5th March 2018.
Contact SAIC for more details and application form etc.