The Marine Alliance for Science and Technology for Scotland (MASTS) consists of a consortium of Member and Associate Member institutions, but has no legal status.
In 2014, MAST-Scotland was established as a guarantee company and registered Charity to provide MASTS with a formal legal identity with the Charitable Purposes and Powers described below.
The Charitable Purposes of MAST-Scotland are to advance, and to encourage the advance of, marine science and technology in Scotland and elsewhere, and further thereto:
- to establish, undertake, manage, enable, encourage and promote research, communication and education across Scotland and elsewhere in relation to marine science and technology, and the marine environment and ecosystems;
- to provide information and support to members, other organisations, public bodies and governments and to inform marine policy and management; and
- to contribute to and enhance the public’s knowledge and understanding of the marine environment and ecosystems.
MAST-Scotland is able to lead projects on behalf of its member organisations, form binding agreements both nationally and internationally and provide a flexible means for the MASTS community to manage its funds in support of its charitable purposes. MAST-Scotland also possesses a PIC number which allows it to lead EU projects.
To find out more about how MAST-Scotland operates contact: Dr Mark James (MASTS Operations Director).
The MAST-Scotland Board consists of the following individuals:
- Prof. Malcolm MacLeod (University of Stirling) - Chairman
- Dr David Ferrier - (University of St Andrews)
- Prof. William Kerr (University of Strathclyde)
- Prof. Jessie Kennedy (Edinburgh Napier University)
- Prof. Neil Simco (University of the Highlands and Islands)
- Prof. Gareth Pender (Heriot Watt University)
- Prof Phil Hannaford (Aberdeen University)
- Prof. William Ritchie (International Advisory Committee)
The Secretariat for MAST-Scotland is provided by the MASTS Directorate based at the University of St Andrews.
Company Secretary: J. & H. Mitchell, W.S. of Pitlochry
Company Accountants and Auditors: Johnston Charmichael Chartered Accountants
Company Number: SC485726
Charity Number: SC045259
PIC Number: 934525840
Click here to view the MAST-Scotland Articles of Association