Oil & Gas Environmental Research Forum
The MASTS Oil and Gas Environmental Research (OGER) Forum will be jointly led by Dr Tom Wilding and Dr Sally Rouse, together with a Steering Group.
The Forum will engage with the oil and gas sector, regulators and academic community, together with other MASTS forums, to raise awareness of relevant marine environmental research and industry requirements. The Forum will bring together the scientific community to address strategic research requirements and inform policy.
Key objectives and approaches
The Forum has the following key objectives:
• Seek to identify and inform key environmental research issues facing the industry and regulators in Scotland, the UK and internationally;
• Improve understanding of oil and gas operations and relevant environmental concerns within the academic community;
• Foster a cohesive, multidisciplinary and collaborative network of scientists, regulators and industry to deliver scientifically excellent, innovative, solutions to the offshore oil and gas industry;
• Encourage innovation and facilitate the use and sharing of marine environmental data and knowledge derived through statutory and non-statutory monitoring and research.
In order to deliver the key objectives, the Forum will:
1. Represent and promote MASTS at government, industry and academic meetings, and provide feedback to Forum members on relevant issues as they emerge.
2. Engage proactively with other MASTS forums - principally the Marine Renewable Energy, Marine Planning and Governance, Deep Sea, and the Technology, Platforms and Sensors forums, to ensure cohesion and collaboration on issues where industry and research interests overlap.
3. Identify strategically important knowledge gaps which can be used as the subject of Forum led workshops or “case studies” to improve understanding, raise awareness and identify research requirements.
4. Produce position papers, using the expertise within the Forum and across related MASTS Forums. The target audience for these papers will include regulators, academics, and senior decision makers, including those involved in funding research such as the research councils and the EU.
5. Allocate funds to: 1) support dissemination; 2) fund workshops/case studies; 3) support the development of strategic position papers; 4) secure leverage on other funds – including studentships and research projects; 5) support writing retreats to encourage the production of relevant papers and research proposals. Areas of interest and steering group expertise
Specific areas of interest to the forum include: 1) Decommissioning, 2) Improving data access, archiving, analysis and further acquisition, 3) Understanding and mitigating the impacts of oil and gas developments in challenging and extreme environments e.g. Arctic and deepwater provinces, and 4) the use of biological alternative to synthetic dispersants.
Forum Convenor: Dr Tom Wilding
Deputy Forum Convenor: Dr Sally Rouse
Steering Group: Lea-Anne Henry (Edinburgh University); Tony Gutierrez (HW University); Liz Galley (Mara Environmental); Peter Hayes (MSS); Ursula Witte, David Lusseau & Kate Gormley (Aberdeen University); Mark Shields (BEIS); Louise O Hara Murray (O&GUK)
Related news for Oil and Gas